CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A NEW DIRECTION FOLLOW US AT OUR NEW BLOG!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Battle with Bambi


The kids and I put in about 7 hours today prepping the garden, picking rocks and pulling out dead plants. We have 6 huge piles that have to be burned where they sit. Then plow the plot, de-rock again and plant! We love seeing the rewards of our efforts and talking about what we are going to grow. However....it is very defeating when the plants come up about one inch to only wake up to deer tracks and chewed up plants down each row. I think the deer spy on us durning the day making their plans for a midnight feast. Last year the first three rows of corn took quite a beating. This year I am more prepared for battle. First I will stake long sticks around the premise and string fishing line, from the line we will clip dryer sheets, then purchase a spray bottle and after rains we will re-spray the sheets. The apple farmers do this process to protect the new trees. It seems like the deer do not like the perfume smell. Other methods include grating Irish Spring soap around plants, or even human urine around the boarder of the garden. Urine around the garden is a great task for my potty trained 3yr old, so that will be our second defense! I am open to other suggestions, just remember I am not looking to spend tons of money on a cure.

1 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Let Charles Ray take a shit all around the garden...guaranteed to keep all living creatures out...great fertilization too...but I would not eat the food!
Just my thoughts!