CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A NEW DIRECTION FOLLOW US AT OUR NEW BLOG!

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Does Anybody Else Look Like Me? By Donna Jackson Nakazawa


(meeting brother for the 1st time)
I have read this years ago, and flipping through it found some highlighted areas that I wish to share. I really did not read this until after our 1st child came home from China, I was so oblivious, looking back I wish I was a little more "in tune" and prepared. Well here it goes,,,if you like buy a copy,you will not regret it.


Book Quote:

"Why do people so often make comments about multiracial children? Of course they are beautiful-we as their parents know that. But why is it that our children garner so much extra attention from strangers when other,clearly adorable kids don't garner as much?" End Quote


This entire scene use to play out every time we left the house to run errands. I use to avoid eye contact with people just to avoid a conservation regarding adoption in front of my child. When I did have a conservation I was very brief but polite. For truly interested people I even went as far as giving them my phone number. Please remember protect your child at all costs. If they are made to feel like an item,(like a puppy) or draw attention of how beautiful they are by strangers it will make them draw into a shell or not have solid self esteem.


OK this second quote was a perfect argument to my husband on why we should adopt again. He did not need much convincing as his heart was all for a second adoption even before the plane left China with our daughter. Anyway this helped move it along a little more faster.


Quote:"The benefits of having Siblings"

"For children who are biracial, the presence of siblings may have a remarkable positive effect on each child's self-esteem, giving each child a concrete sense that there are others like them, not only in their own home but within the greater world. Psychologist Beverly Daniel Tatum points out that "when a sibling comes along, the first child often has a great sense of relief in seeing someone like them in their family. It gives them a much bigger sense of seeing themselves reflected in the world around them." End Quote


Yes this was very true in our case, even today our daughter takes great pride pointing out to her brother that she was born first in China and that we had to go get him. Even today she said no matter how many birthdays he has, he will never be the same age as her! Always thinking that one! They have a beautiful bond that I enjoy watching grow everyday. In most cases she is his "little mommy".

0 comments: